What are you doing right now?
Excellent question. We spend an awful lot of time dewinterizing the amphitheatre — think about the amphitheatre as about 100 times the work that you do in dewinterizing your house (if you live in a climate where you winterize and dewinterize).
We do the following (and this is a very abbreviated list):
- All of the plumbing and toilets get taken apart during the winter, so we get everything put back together, turn all the water back on, and make adjustments to ensure everything flows correctly and is at proper pressure. For those of you that use urinals and have been splashed when you flush, you will appreciate the time that we take.
- We hand-inspect every seat in the building and replace broken parts, tighten bolts, replace springs, replace seat numbers, and do whatever maintenance is necessary. For those keeping score, that’s 6,823 seats that we hand inspect and hand repair.
- Unpack everything that we stored for the winter. Folding tables, folding chairs, box suite furniture, tents, equipment, vehicles; everything gets unpacked, cleaned, serviced, and ready to work.
- All of the signs get uncovered, cleaned, and repaired if necessary.
- We check every light bulb in the building and replace all of the bulbs that are burned out.
It takes a lot of work to get buildings the size of ours going for the season.